Friday, March 26, 2010

Visit to Cezky Krumlov and Budvar Brewery

I saw the mountains today in Cesky Krumlov and it looked like Colorado. I liked it. Cesky Krumlov is the 2nd largest tourist destination in the Czech Republic after Prague. It is a tiny town (maybe the size of Wellington) that has the 2nd largest castle after Prague Castle. It was a very colorful castle, I learned about it in my Czech history class, how they found all this color and decorations under layers and layers of whitewash. It is cool to see in person the things I am learning about in class.
It was a beautiful day and As I said it was loverly to spend it driving through the country side and watching the sun set over the hills. Our first stop was the Budweiser Budvar Brewery, supposedly the one that Bud in the US stole the name from (they have been in legal battles for over 100 years). The brewery in Ceske Bodejvice brews all the beer that is sold all over the world. It looked as big as New Belgium Brewery! Last summer I worked in the Coors plant in Golden quite often and the security in that place is secure, here it is nothing! They had a fence with some barbed wire over it but everyone was on the lunch break while we were touring, no checks or gates or anything. And the workers there were straight out of a 1940's black and white film! It was classic! We got one free sample and went on our way to enjoy some Czech food in the usual 'cave' as I like to call them or the one of many restaurants/bars that is underground. It was too bad because the weather awas sooo nice outside! We had a few hours to explore the city and the castle. We could just walk around the castle because it is closed until tourist season.
BEST PART OF CASTLE: The three bears just chillin in moat like areas surrounding the castle. It was surreal...but I'm contacting Animal Rights tomorrow because the living conditions of these bears was not suitable!!
Yay! I ate ice cream today for the first time in 2 months....it was amazing!

So great day all in all. Its supposed to be rainy this weekend. I'm going to Dresden Germany with a whole new group of travel buddies (hopefully we will all become buddies)on a spontaneous trip. I've heard it's a cool place but only takes a day or two to see and has great Curry wurst ????!!?? I'll fill you in on all the deets when I get back!

Fun Facts:
- Bears, Beets, Battelstar Galactic.
- The paintings on the castle have been around for hundreds and hundreds of years but were still so colorful!
- Lot's of Asian tourists visit little cities in the Czech Republic
- They don't have sauces for food, you have to buy ketchup and mustard separately. I've been craving Cholula like I never thought I would crave a bottle of red sauce before.
- There's little shops and pubs on every corner. Kind of like the corner stores and fish and chip shops in New Zealand. I wonder sometimes how they all stay in business.

No comments:

Post a Comment