Monday, March 29, 2010

Dresden Germany and cute coffee shops

I went to Dresden Germany this weekend, it was an ok trip. I think the best part was the train ride there and back that went next to a river most of the way and getting to see the beautiful German countryside.

Dresden is the city full of very gold statues, dread-locks, currywurst (yum), and lot's of buildings that are being rebuilt because they were bombed so badly in WW2.
It was a pretty sleepy weekend with a small downtown full of historical buildings and a town big enough to walk across multiple times per day :)
I went with a new group of people and they were fun but I noticed the different travel styles and the things I missed from my normal travel buddies. We spent a lot of time looking for places to eat and sitting down to do it. I like that every once in awhile but I really like bringing snacks and food and seeing as many cool things as possible. It is hard to be in Europe and not see cool things though. The train got in around 12 and we went to a nice breakfast then walked around the historical part, we wanted to see a few things one being a famous statue, another the view of the city from the bridge, and we thought we found a diamond in the rough not often seen landmark in the Mountain of Fragments. We thought it was a WW2 memorial and walked kinda far from the main part to see it. After asking a few locals who pointed us in a general direction we found it. It was a small grass covered mound in the factory district. It was cool because it was high enough to have a good view of the city but we hung out for a bit (wishing we had a frisbee) did some sound of music reenactments and then trekked back to town. We had a nap and then had a fun dinner where we found MARGARITAS!! I was so excited I miss the RIO and my dad's margaritas! Then went to a jazz club called Blue Note, we actually played cards ofr a bit and had some great beer and a blast! Sunday we went to an art museum that had works by Rembrandt and the famous little cherubs (it took me forever to find them because I didn't know they were part of a larger painting). Also one by Jan Vermeer, I saw one of his in the Louvre and like seeing them because I really liked the book 'The girl with the Pearl Earring' which is about him. We had some delicious Currywurst (sounds weird tastes delish!) I had mine with peanut sauce. We then walked around and caught our 5:00pm train home. The view from the train was incredibly beautiful. It went right down a canal that had colorful houses lining it. The pictures do it no justice. This train ride would be an amazing bike ride as well, I saw about 3 castles on hilltops along the way (not an uncommon site most places I've been). Lot's of hills and cliffs it was truly amazing and motivated me even more to get my camping trip set up.
I'm hangin at a coffee shop now sitting in Wenseclas Square with a view of the Famous national Museum outside. I love waking up here everyday and all the possibilities that lay ahead of me. I was walking around old town today and was meeting my friend at a cute coffee shop we 'discovered'. I found a whole new neighborhood that I have never been too that had cool statues and cool shops. I know there is so many more of these undiscovered streets in Prague.....love it!!

I think I am getting Picasa Photo Sharing to work .I am trying to figure out how to invite people to see it. I'll try to finish it soon and send those but I may just have to send the link in an email. I'll keep you posted!

Thanks Adela for the political update, it was very helpful! I think of you when I see really cute high heels and last weekend when I finally had a margaritas and saw chimichanga on the menu! ;)

1 comment:

  1. Awww! I got a shoutout on the blog :) I like that Chimichangas, Margaritas and Cute Heels remind you of me :) MISS YA SHAN!

    ReplyDelete