Thursday, April 1, 2010

Cyber Laundromat- sounds like an out of body experience, but it's not.

I'm on a blogging rampage this week!

At the laundromat now (Prague CYBER Laundromat to be exact) which is always a fun experience. Yesterday was cloudy and cold but we've got another nice one today, very sunny. I went out for a friends birthday at a nice thai restaurant last night. It was pretty fancy and the most I've spent on a meal here yet. 200 Kc which is about 10 dollars. But it was nice to have something a little different with some spice to it. I may have mentioned but the food here is not very flavorful and they don't provide sauces at all. You have to pay for Ketchup!!!! (ahhhhhh) One thing that does have flavor here is a dessert called Medovnik. It is a Czech dessert i guess and i finally tried it yesterday. YUMMM It's a honey cake with lot's of layers of cake and frosting-ish stuff and then this crushed cookie on top...delish! Another point for the Czech Republic.
Tonight I'm going to a music and film festival after class then will probably hang out with some freinds over a beer. I'm going on a school trip to Southern Moravia and Vienna this weekend. A lot of Czeh and Slovak students are going home for Easter weekend. We don't have school on Monday, my Czech friend Hana invited me back to her home town on Monday for Easter celebrations. A tradition here is on Easter Monday the boys knock on teh doors and have these special Easter sticks that they hit the girls with. It's supposed to keep the girls looking nice and young for the coming year (hmmmm unusual way to go about it :)) Then the girls give them candy or alcohol. I'm kind of oddly excited about seeing this play out. They are selling the sticks all over in the stores, they are just woven branches with ribbons on the end. I'm trying to figure out a bus from Vienna to her smaller town in teh Czech Republic. If that doesn't pan out I think I'm gonna leave the school group on Sunday and find a hiking place and do that on monday. Yay for spring~!

Czech words I know:
Smirzlina: Ice Cream
Dobre Den: good day
Ajoy: hi
Dekuji: Thank you
Prosime: please
Prominte: excuse me
Ne Mluvime Czesky: i don't speak czech
Sem Americanka: I am American
Potriviny: store/shop
Tabak: tobacco store where you can by tram tickets and snacks
Zen: here
Pivo: beer
Jedno Pivo Prosime: another beer please :)

No comments:

Post a Comment